• Home
  • Articles
    • Front Page
    • General Interest
    • Special Interests
    • Snippets
    • Mayoral Notes
    • Letters to the Editor
  • Our Community
    • Our People
    • Question of the Week
    • Jobs in the Central West
    • Be Seen
    • What’s On
  • Special Interests
    • Women In Business
    • Rural Round Up
    • My Place
    • Health & Wellbeing
    • Loving Local Living
    • Just a Short Drive
    • Real Estate
  • Sports
    • Bowls
    • Cricket
    • Equestrian
    • Footy Tips
    • Golf
    • Netball
    • Rugby League
    • Rugby Union
    • Soccer
    • Touch Football
  • Classifieds
  • Competitions
  • Contact Us
    • Contact Page
    • Advertise with us
    • Testimonials
    • Submit an Article
    • Subscribe to the Parkes Phoenix

Parkes Phoenix

Council Unanimously Opposes EFW Proposal

February 19, 2026 By Roxane Manley

Parkes Shire Councillors met and voted to oppose the proposed Energy-from-Waste facility.

Parkes Shire Council has unanimously sup­ported a motion by Mayor Neil Westcott to formally object to the proposed Energyfrom-Waste (EfW) facility within the Parkes Special Activation Precinct.

“This means that Parkes Council, in total­ity, is against the EfW project, we are op­posed to it, we will not be supporting it. We are not the determining body, but whatever influence we can bring to bear it will be in the form of absolute rejection,” Mayor Neil Westcott said.

Mayor Westcott said the decision reflects the strong community sentiment. Critically, Council’s objection will require the NSW Government to refer the planning assess­ment to the NSW Independent Planning Commission (IPC).“Our first duty is to protect the health and wellbeing of our residents, the integrity of our environment, and the reputation of our agricultural sector. When government pro­vides no credible information to demon­strate safety, the community can only con­clude that these risks may exist, and that is a failure of leadership,” the Mayor said.

The motion was amended during the meeting and passed unanimously. Each Councillor present had the opportunity to speak about the project during the consid­eration of the motion. Watch in full on Coun­cil’s website https://parkes.infocouncil.biz/

State Member Phil Donato has previously issued a statement on the proposal; “I will not be supporting this project, and I will con­tinue to stand with the people of Parkes to ensure their voices are heard by the govern­ment.”

Council’s resolution will be communicat­ed to the NSW Premier, the NSW Minister for Planning and Public Spaces, the NSW Minister for Environment, the Independent Planning Commission, the Local Member and the Parliamentary Inquiry into Energyfrom-Waste Facilities.

Chair of the Parliamentary Inquiry into Energy-from-Waste facilities Nichole Over­all MLC confirmed subsequent public hear­ings will be held in Parkes and Goulburn in April and May 2026.

Filed Under: Articles, General Interest

Click here to download the recent issue (177) of The Forbes & Parkes Phoenix (1.9MB PDF) – 20th February 2026

SEARCH THE PHOENIX

STAY CONNECTED

The Parkes Phoenix would like to thank you, our Facebook friends, for your continued support and readership!

Phoenix Office
7/113-127 Rankin Street, Forbes NSW 2871

Editor
0432 337 278
editor@parkesphoenix.com.au

Sales
0432 337 278
sales@parkesphoenix.com.au

View our Privacy Policy.
View our Conflict Resolution Process.
View our Ethics and Complaints Policy.
Want to advertise with us?
Information on our Community Promotions.

We are always looking for new articles of interest to the local community.

Please feel free to submit an article for possible inclusion in a future issue.

To submit an article, click here to use our online article submission form.

Subscribe

* indicates required

Copyright © 2026 · Magazine Pro Theme On Genesis Framework · WordPress · Log in

Go to mobile version