Parkes Phoenix

Health Minister Ryan Park Has 35 Days To Respond To Petition

Pictured: Phil Donato MP, Member for Orange, received the signed petition on 20 November. Phil was then pictured on the steps of Parliament house in Canberra on 21 November with Sarah Raymond. Sarah is the Western NSW Organiser at the NSWNMA who went on behalf of the branch to have the petition tabled before Parliament wrapped up for the year.

On 21 November, 2025, the Legislative As­sembly clerk announced that a paper pe­tition signed by 500 or more persons had been lodged for presentation. A Petition re­questing that the Legislative Assembly call on the Government to increase the levels of nurse staffing, administration support and security provision in the emergency depart­ment at Parkes Hospital.

NSWNMA Parkes Hospital branch del­egate Tania Elsley said “The submission of our petition to parliament is the first step in making our state aware of our fear and safe­ty concerns and then responsible for fund­ing the changes needed. Parliament and State Health are responsible for providing what is required for our town’s local public hospital. They are no longer “unaware”.”

“If our town wants our local hospital to deliver appropriate and safe care, commu­nity support needs to continue until we see improvement. Sadly if we stop being visible and vocal then people assume it has hap­pened. This includes our local council pur­suing this on our behalf as it affects their families the same as our own.” said Tania.

Phil Donato MP said “I have been in routine contact with the NSW Nurses and Midwives’ Association area organiser, with whom I have regularly discussed challeng­es experienced by the branch members concerning the Parkes Hospital on 7th April 2025 I met with Parkes branch members, who first raised with me issues concerning nursing staff shortages, system improve­ments, and the need for dedicated security staff around the clock. Following that meet­ing, I made formal written representations to the Minister for Health regarding staffing, and I also tabled a question on notice re­garding the issue of hospital security.”

The Health Minister’s written response is due by Friday 26 December 2025. Once the Minister’s written response is received, it will be publicly viewable on the following link: https://shorturl.at/fBw7r

Exit mobile version