It’s on again, Parkes is hosting the Kookaburra 8s carnival this Saturday and Sunday as they did last year. The Kookaburra 8s carnival is for any interested boys and girls turning 11 or under this year.
Parkes took out the Hockey NSW Community Event Award for this exact event and it’s very exciting to have Parkes as the hosts again in 2018. This year we will have 12 teams in attendance, they will be coming from Parkes, Orange, Molong and also some players from Bathurst.
Over the weekend we will be coordinating an umpire development program, at this stage we have 16 umpires aged 12 to 15 taking part with umpire mentors on board to help them out, including umpire extraordinaire Keiren Deland who will take the umpires through a workshop before they step out onto the field.
The event creates a great opportunity to develop every aspect of our sport, the players will partake in a skills session before they start their games, the coaches will be upskilled via a workshop and supported throughout the weekend and the umpires will be learning as they go with the help and guidance of other experienced umpires.
The outline of the day will be the same as last year, with a few slight changes:
SATURDAY 28th April
• 10.45am: Coaches meet at the clubhouse
• 11am-12.15pm: ‘Coach the Coach’ Level 1 workshop with RCC Kate Pulbrook
• 11.30am: Players start to arrive (please make sure they have lunch before 12.15pm)
• 12.15pm: Players and Coaches to meet near the canteen area
• 12.30-1.45pm: Development Sessions for all players and coaches (on field)
• 12.45-1.50pm: Umpires to assemble at the clubhouse – umpiring workshop will be held with Keiren Deland
• 2.00pm: Round robin games start
• 5.00pm: Day 1 finishes
SUNDAY 29th April
• 9.00am: Games commence
• 11.00-11.30am: Player skills demonstration – for players aged 13 and above (link with National Hockey Week competition) as well as an overhead, hitting, sprinting and cross bar competition. Watering of the turf (if required).
• 11.30am: Games recommence
• 1.00pm: Round robin games conclude
• 1.10pm: Presentation at the conclusion of games near clubhouse/canteen.