The Central Western District Women’s Bowling Association celebrated their 70th anniversary, with 18 ends of Triples Bowls and a special luncheon at the Canowindra Bowling Club on Tuesday, 18th July.
Both events of the day were attended by official guests including Sandra Jowett, Director of Bowls NSW, Roger Traves, President of the Canowindra Club, and A. Whyburn, President of the Canowindra Men’s Bowling Association. The history of the Central Western Women’s Bowling Association from 1953 until 2023 was presented to the visitors in addition to the cake cutting.
The Central Western District Women’s Bowling Association held its first official meeting on 9th October 1953, which was attended by Canowindra, Eugowra, Forbes, and Parkes clubs, with Cudal an apology for the first event. Gwynn Rice was appointed the first President at that meeting. The association started playing Pennants a month later.
In 1955, the assocaition elected a President, three Vice-Presidents, Secretary, and Treasurer, along with three delegates to represent each of the Clubs. Cudal and Manildra merged in 1957, followed by the Forbes, Parkes and Parkes Railway Clubs in 1958. Woodstock joined the association in 1959. In 1970, Gooloogong joined, bringing the District’s total number of Clubs to 12.
One of the favourite competitions held for the association is the Taber Shield. An inter -district competition that is contested annually in early September in Stella Taber’shonor. Stella Taber served as District President from 1956 to 1963 and again from1964 to 1967.
The District currently has nine Clubs: Cowra, Canowindra, Forbes, Parkes, Manildra, Molong, Millthorpe, Orange City, and Orange Ex-Services.
The Central Western Districts Women’s Bowling association is a very important part of our community, and we wish them great success for a further 70 years.