Guinea pigs can be lovely pets, but there are a few things you should know before making the big commitment.
1. Guinea pigs are hardy. When cared for and fed properly, guinea pigs are generally very healthy.
2. Guinea pigs are easy to care for. They require hay, fresh water, fresh vegetables and some pelleted food for guinea
pigs that includes a vitamin C supplement. They need a fairly large cage that needs to be cleaned regularly.
3. Guinea pigs are great pets for children. Not as fragile as rabbits and generally less skittish than smaller rodents.
4. Guinea pigs live long lives. Most guinea pigs live five to seven years. This is important to consider if you are thinking of adopting a guinea pig.
5. Guinea pigs are unique. They have a lot of personality. Some are shy; others are bold and dominant.
6. Guinea pigs purr! Just like cats, guinea pigs make a quiet yet audible vibrating sound often when they are petted gently.
7. Guinea pigs like to pop. “Popcorning” is commonly seen in young guinea pigs when they are happy or excited: They jump up straight into the air over and over.
8. Guinea pigs are colorful. Short-haired, long-haired, even hairless – there are 13 breeds and 10 basic colors of guinea pigs.
9. Guinea pigs like people. Many squeal with delight when they see their owners or try to climb up the sides of their cage to greet them. They are as interactive and friendly as dogs and cats.
The Parkes Pet Barn has guinea pigs, including long-haired ones, and all the necessary accessories and food to keep your new pet well cared for.