It feels like we have only just put our winter woollies away when suddenly we need to start Christmas shopping and decorating our homes. It is such a special time, and probably the key time of the year for visitors and family. We need to make sure our homes look sensational, styled with Christmas love and cheer. With these simple techniques your
yuletide fluffing will be a guaranteed success.
• Before the tinsel comes out do a quick spring clean, and remove some of your usual decorating items to avoid clutter. Consider moving furniture around to allow for a greater flow of bodies to minimise congestion with a house full of people.
• Pick a colour theme to make the look dynamic and stylish. I love silver, white and black for effortless chic; and silver, grey and lavender for a more feminine feel or even dynamic red and green with touches of nature for a timeless classic.
• Think nature to give you a rustic but elegant look. Big natural branches look amazing strung with lights or simple glass baubles. I love branches as centrepieces on the Christmas dining table to create a relaxed and casual feel. Use costume jewellery strewn throughout candles to add a really elegant feel to the table.
• Candles, especially led candles, will give your home a warm glow without mess or fuss or danger. I have a huge array of candles on my main dining table that create a beautiful sight when you come home after a late night.
• The same principle applies to Christmas decorating as it does to everyday life: less is definitely more. Large statement pieces will give the home a WOW factor especially in key focal areas.
• Remember first impressions count, so an amazing hanging on your front door or a great Christmas inspired arrangement in your entryway will instantly create a mood.
• Handmade presents add a personal touch and can be a great way to entertain children prior to the big day. It can
also lighten the financial drain, but don’t place yourself under extra pressure if this activity is not a joy for you.
By Karen Creith