What To Do After A Car Accident
If, by bad luck, you are involved in a motor vehicle accident, there are things you must do, and things you should do.
Things you must do:
• Stop as soon as you have the accident.
• Give your name, address and car registration details to the driver of the other car, to any person injured, and to the owner of any property damaged.
• Give the name and address of the car owner if it is not you.
• Give assistance to any injured person.
• Notify the police if someone is killed or injured, a driver did not stop and give their details to the other driver or drivers, any driver appears to be affected by alcohol or drugs, or any vehicle has to be towed away. In this latter case, and if the police do not come to the accident scene, you must report the accident to the nearest police station within 24 hours.
Things you should do:
• Make notes about the accident.
• Draw a plan of the scene and location of the cars.
• Take photos of the scene and location of each car.
• Take the names and addresses of any witnesses.
• Get the details of the other car, its owner, and its insurers.
• Notify your comprehensive insurance company immediately, and, if any person is injured, notify your green slip insurers.
If you have been injured, consult your solicitor as there are strict time limits for making an insurance claim.
If we at Matthews Williams can assist you on this or any other legal matter, feel free to phone me or one of our solicitors or call into our office for an appointment.
By Mark Olson