A new road safety campaign is targeting pedestrians distracted by their mobile phones or listening to music with headphones.
The ‘Look Out Before You Step Out’ campaign aims to educate pedestrians to take an extra moment to look before stepping out onto roads, as well as choosing safe times and places to cross.
Parkes Shire Council has installed brightly coloured footpath decals at refuges, intersections and crossings that remind pedestrians there could be oncoming traffic.
More than 50 stickers were placed in Parkes, Peak Hill and Trundle, with an additional 10 stickers to be installed in Tullamore soon.
Key Safety Tips:
• Look before you cross
• Unplug your earphones and put away your phone
• Never assume an approaching vehicle can see you, or will stop for you – wait until all vehicles have stopped before you step off the kerb
• Avoid crossing between parked cars or at the front or back of buses and large vehicles
• At intersections, check for turning vehicles
• Wear bright, light coloured clothing at night or in reduced visibility conditions
• Always use pedestrian crossings where possible.