There were no championship games played during the past week. In social bowls on Thursday, 10th February the Triples match finished with the closest score line after a couple of dramatic changes. Rob Tinker, Gordon Dickson and John Dunn won the first end but Ian Simpson, Bob Freeman and Jim Blake had the best of the early ends and lead 13-8 after thirteen ends. On the next end Team Tinker scored six shots to take the lead for the second time, 14-13 and with one end to play still held the lead 19-16 and looked like the winners but on the last end Team Simpson scored the four shots they needed to claim victory.
In other matches, Rob Irving and Graham Barby 21 just got up against Col Mudie and Tom Furey 19. Col Hayward and Ron Hornery 21 beat John Wright and Alan Affleck 16. Steve Turner and John Carr scored too many and Jonno Johnson and Ray Jones didn’t score enough.
On Saturday, 12th February a good field of twenty eight bowlers turned out and it was good to see Wes Westcott back on the green after a fairly lengthy absence. Results of the matches were:
• Guy Ellery and George Bradley 24 – Dave Reilly and Jo Simpson 21
• John Ward and Noel Johnstone 18 – Mike Simpson and Ray Jones 14
• Ian Simpson and John Wright 23 – Brian Townsend and Arthur Corbett 18
• Rob Tinker and John Niddrie 24 – Martin Tighe and Wes Westcott 19
• Nathan Reynolds and Ron Hornery 25 – Col Hayward and Gordon Dickson 20
• Col Mudie and John Carr 23 – Tom Furey and Col Woods 17
• Tony Reardon and Mal Porter 24 – Rob Irving and Jim Blake 16
By George Bradley