A new safety campaign was launched last week to reduce the number of dangerously loaded trucks operating on regional roads.
The $60,500 project was initiated by Parkes, Forbes and Lachlan Shire Councils and funded under the Federal Government’s Heavy Vehicle Safety Initiative.
The Load Restraint Public Education Campaign will see new ‘how to’ load restraint videos and factsheets shared with local businesses, as well as a social media awareness campaign and a series of load restraint information sessions across the three shires.
The strength of the region’s farming, mining, forestry and construction sectors has seen a steady growth in heavy vehicle traffic, with one truck passing through the townships of Forbes, Parkes and Peak Hill every minute.
“This is an important project following several local incidents and an increase in the volume of heavy vehicle traffic in the region,” said Deputy Prime Minister, Infrastructure, Transport and Regional Development and Member for Riverina, Michael McCormack at the launch last Thursday.
“It will help educate transport operators, along with the farms and businesses they serve, in safe load restraint.
“Heavy vehicles help connect so much of regional Australia and projects such as this will ensure that vehicles and drivers act in a safe manner at all times.
Forbes Shire Council Mayor, Phyllis Miller OAM said local police had issued 72 notices for load restraint breaches in 2019.
“This project will aid in removing any doubts about how heavy vehicles should be loaded.”
NHVR CEO Sal Petroccitto said the Heavy Vehicle Safety Initiative had so far allocated $22.8m through 89 separate grants over the past five years.
“Improving heavy vehicle safety and safety for all drivers is the top priority of the NHVR,” Mr Petroccitto said.