• Home
  • Articles
    • Front Page
    • General Interest
    • Special Interests
    • Snippets
    • Mayoral Notes
    • Letters to the Editor
  • Our Community
    • Our People
    • Question of the Week
    • Jobs in the Central West
    • Be Seen
    • What’s On
  • Special Interests
    • Women In Business
    • Rural Round Up
    • My Place
    • Health & Wellbeing
    • Loving Local Living
    • Just a Short Drive
    • Real Estate
  • Sports
    • Bowls
    • Cricket
    • Equestrian
    • Footy Tips
    • Golf
    • Netball
    • Rugby League
    • Rugby Union
    • Soccer
    • Touch Football
  • Classifieds
  • Competitions
  • Contact Us
    • Contact Page
    • Advertise with us
    • Testimonials
    • Submit an Article
    • Subscribe to the Parkes Phoenix

Parkes Phoenix

Restored Gates Unlock Parkes’ History

February 14, 2019 By Maggi Barnard

The ornamental gates in Cooke Park have undergone a complete restoration almost 100 years after their installation in 1928. Council’s Heritage Advisor, David Scobie and contractors GC McCabe and Co restored the historic Venables Gates to their near original condition.

The work involved the repointing of brickwork, replacement of damaged lights and commemorative plaques, repainting of the ironwork and drainage improvements. “Through this work the original brass lettering on the gates was discovered, that had been painted over,” said Councillor Alan Ward, Chair of the Parkes Shire Heritage Advisory Committee.

“The Parkes Region has a proud and colourful history, and we are delighted to have preserved this piece of history for our community,” said Alan.

The gates were made in 1886 by Richard Venables and were located at the Australian Hall on Peisley Street in Orange. The hall was remodelled in the 1920’s, the gates were removed and sold back to Richard at auction.
At the time Richard was a resident of Parkes and he donated the gates to the Municipal Council. He was contracted to build the side gates to match the central pair.

The gates were officially opened on 18 November 1928 as part of the Cooke Park extension, which included the construction of the fountain and pond, garden beds and paths and landscaping.

Filed Under: Articles, General Interest

Click here to download the recent issue (203) of The Forbes & Parkes Phoenix (2MB PDF) – 21st August 2026

SEARCH THE PHOENIX

STAY CONNECTED

The Parkes Phoenix would like to thank you, our Facebook friends, for your continued support and readership!

Phoenix Office
7/113-127 Rankin Street, Forbes NSW 2871

Editor
0432 337 278
editor@parkesphoenix.com.au

Sales
0432 337 278
sales@parkesphoenix.com.au

View our Privacy Policy.
View our Conflict Resolution Process.
View our Ethics and Complaints Policy.
Want to advertise with us?
Information on our Community Promotions.

We are always looking for new articles of interest to the local community.

Please feel free to submit an article for possible inclusion in a future issue.

To submit an article, click here to use our online article submission form.

Subscribe

* indicates required

Copyright © 2026 · Magazine Pro Theme On Genesis Framework · WordPress · Log in

nsw government logo

The Parkes Phoenix's Digital Diversification of Free Regional Media project is proudly funded by the NSW Government Regional Media Fund

Go to mobile version