Decorating and styling to the untrained eye may seem a skill that is weaved with mystery and wonder. For those of us in the know the reason we succeed in styling endeavours is because we know and implement key styling rules, or the do’s and don’ts.
• Have an overall plan and vision of what you would like to achieve.
• Adopt a colour palette that is neutral and can be adapted to different styles over time. Add colour with soft furnishings and accessories.
• Select furniture that is in scale with the room’s dimensions to ensure the final result will be in perfect proportion.
• Define zones in open plan areas with rugs and always use cushions to seamlessly bring a room’s colour palette together. Also combine different textures and fabrics to create interest, and more warmth and atmosphere.
• Style your room with statement pieces that reflect your personality. Large artwork and stunning vases filled with natural elements give texture and a WOW factor to your home. And what not to do when we decorate…
• Don’t be overwhelmed. If you don’t want to tackle a project alone make sure to get help. I enjoy helping clients achieve a result they will love to live in.
• Don’t try to incorporate too many different ideas or styles into one design.
• Don’t settle for second best. Choose pieces of furniture that you love and will stand the test of time.
I hope you feel empowered and filled with knowledge to inspire you into action to turn your home into an amazing work of art or at least a home that you are content to claim as your own.
By Karen Creith