• Home
  • Articles
    • Front Page
    • General Interest
    • Special Interests
    • Snippets
    • Mayoral Notes
    • Letters to the Editor
  • Our Community
    • Our People
    • Question of the Week
    • Jobs in the Central West
    • Be Seen
    • What’s On
  • Special Interests
    • Women In Business
    • Rural Round Up
    • My Place
    • Health & Wellbeing
    • Loving Local Living
    • Just a Short Drive
    • Real Estate
  • Sports
    • Bowls
    • Cricket
    • Equestrian
    • Footy Tips
    • Golf
    • Netball
    • Rugby League
    • Rugby Union
    • Soccer
    • Touch Football
  • Classifieds
  • Competitions
  • Contact Us
    • Contact Page
    • Advertise with us
    • Testimonials
    • Submit an Article
    • Subscribe to the Parkes Phoenix

Parkes Phoenix

Mayoral Notes…

June 30, 2016 By Maggi Barnard

council

The Federal Election is here and for the first time, Parkes will join the electoral division of Riverina. Election day is this Saturday from 8am to 6pm at designated polling places including Middleton Public School, Parkes East Primary School, Parkes High School, Parkes Little Theatre, Assemblies of God Hall, Bogan Gate Public School, Peak Hill Central School, Trundle Central School and Tullamore Central School.

It’s with pride that I say a heartfelt thank you for the many donations that have flooded in for our East Timor Fundraising Appeal. A forty-tonne container filled with surplus items from Forbes and Parkes Hospitals is on its
way to Weberek in East Timor. Thank you to all who made generous donations and to the volunteers for their efforts. An extra special mention to Bill Shalvey and Malcolm Stacey who worked tirelessly behind the scenes packing the container.

The East Timor Fundraising Appeal is something I feel very passionate about and am once again honoured to see such generosity and support from the Parkes community. Congratulations to Parkes Library for hosting its first ever community Book Club, where they discussed ‘To Kill a Mockingbird’ by Harper Lee. If you’d like to join the monthly Book Club, please contact the Parkes Library on 6861 2309. On that note, I’d like to leave you with a quote from ‘To Kill a Mockingbird’…” The one thing that doesn’t abide by majority rule is a person’s conscience.” Harper Lee.

Cr Ken Keith OAM

Only 6,000 Plants To Go!

June 30, 2016 By Maggi Barnard

728

Northparkes Mines (NPM) volunteers have planted more than a quarter of the total 9,000 plants put in so far at PAC Park. The community effort to revegetate the banks of the wetland with 15,000 plants by spring is progressing well with about 4,300 planted by NPM volunteers.

Under the Northparkes Mines Volunteer Leave Program, employees are encouraged to do two volunteer days per year. Linda Snyman, who organised ten employees of the mining operations technical services team to do a planting session last week, said they wanted to do something physically challenging. “I would also like to see the area beautified and used by the community,” Linda said.

Other community groups involved so far include Parkes High School, Parkes Christian School, Currajong Disability Services, House With No Steps (Lachlan Branch) and the Motley Crew of Central West Lachlan Landcare. “The efforts of all volunteers on this project has been fantastic, and it’s especially great that the NPM Volunteer Leave Program were keen to contribute their valuable time to this project for two separate planting days,” said Michael Chambers, Environmental and Sustainability Coordinator of the Parkes Shire Council.

Managed by Parkes Shire Council, the PAC Park project aims to rejuvenate the waterway and the entire park. It is hoped that establishing strong partnerships with community and school groups they would engage community members and encourage a sense of ownership over the area. Funding for the project was provided through three different NSW Government agencies including the Local Government NSW ‘Building Resilience to Climate Change’ program and the Central West Local Land Services ‘Natural Resource Management for Local Government’ program.

Any school or community group interested in doing some planting would be greatly welcomed by Michael. Please contact him at the Parkes Shire Council on 6861 2349.

By Maggi Barnard

Quick Response to Parkes Power Outage

June 30, 2016 By Maggi Barnard

download

Essential Energy crews were quick to respond to an unplanned power outage which affected 1,815 households and businesses on the northern side of Parkes last Friday at 12.50pm. Regional manager Northern, Mark Summers,
said for the safety of the public and their property the power network automatically switched itself off after sensing a problem. “Our local crews were immediately dispatched to patrol the power network to determine the cause of the power outage,” Mark said; “Crews worked as quickly as safety allowed and power was restored to 1,794 customers at 2.03pm and the remaining customers at 3.35pm.”

The power outage was caused by flying debris from the storm coming into contact with the power network near Bushman’s Dam on the Newell Highway. “We apologise for any inconvenience caused and thank customers for their patience while crews worked to restore power.”

The wild weather across NSW on Friday afternoon and evening caused unplanned power outages for around 12,000 households and business across Essential Energy’s operational area. Essential Energy would also like to remind scaffolders, tradespeople and other construction workers to be aware of potential electrical hazards on the worksite and to stay safe around electricity. “Powerlines can be situated underground and overhead so workers should be aware of their location before putting up scaffolding, picking up a jackhammer, operating machinery or excavating an area,” Mark said. “We recommend every worker, from the foreman through to the apprentice complete an onsite safety induction before commencing work – identifying the location of all electrical hazards.”

For more information, contact Bronya Presler, Community Relations Advisor- Northern on 08 8082 5336

Monstrously Good Entertainment

June 30, 2016 By Maggi Barnard

IMG_5536

The giants have arrived for the first time in Parkes, and there are six of them! Ultimate Monster Action is gearing up to give Parkes an action packed show that will get the adrenaline flowing to drive all the winter chills away. Professional Monster Truck driver, Troy Garcia said the show would go on come rain or shine. “The wetter the weather, the more fun we have!” he joked. He is expecting a crowd of about 3,000 people who will watch every jump of the roaring monsters, as well as a host of other blood chilling stunts.

Hosted by Adam Brand, 12 times Golden Guitar winner, the freestyle motocross bikers will do some insane stunts, while the jet car will light up the sky with its after burn mode. Adding extra explosive action will be the gigantic firework show. There will be rides in a 3-metre-high monster truck from 1.30pm when the gates at the showgrounds open which will cost $10 per person. The main show will start at 4pm and last for about two hours. “It is a great event for the whole family,” said Troy.

Monster trucks were first built in the United States about 40 years ago to crush cars. “The latest models are able to do much more, such as racing, wheel stands, jumps in the air and other free style moves,” said Troy.

Get your tickets at the gate or online at www.monstertrucks.net.au.

Snippets…

June 30, 2016 By Maggi Barnard

dscn3822

Sports Fields Are Open Again: After about of wet weather which saw many sporting areas temporarily close, players and spectators are advised that all grass sporting fields in Parkes are now open for training, school sport or other purposes. However, groups are being asked to risk assess the field before use and remain away from the wetter areas. Sporting groups may implement their own cancellation notices if their risk assessment proves the field to be
unsuitable for their purposes.

‘It’s Not A Waste’ Winners Announced: Five lucky residents have been proclaimed winners of the ‘it’s not a waste’ competition that was launched in conjunction with the Netwaste 3-bin collection service. The competition aimed to promote the new household waste service that began in April and residents were asked to answer five questions based on the content of an information brochure that was sent to all households about the new service. The following have each won a $100 open gift card; Sina Karimi, Kim Paul, Aimee Ross, Rebecca Parkes and Val Hornery.

Positive Changes at Parkes Tip: The Parkes Waste Facility is currently being upgraded to make it more user friendly for customers and to increase diversion of materials from landfill. Construction is underway to improve the efficiency, safety and environmental aspects of the facility. Improvements include new ground water monitoring stations, construction of a weighbridge, gatehouse building, drop-off centre, road improvements and signage. A tree planting program is also planned for the perimeter and surrounding areas of the facility. This will screen operations from roads and provide numerous environmental benefits including native habitat provision and connectivity. In total approximately 40 hectares of land around the facility will be revegetated with native trees and shrubs.

Serving Up Funding: The lights and facilities at the Parkes Tennis Club are set for an upgrade thanks to a $13,000 injection from the Federal Government. Riverina Nationals’ MP, Michael McCormack, visited the courts last week. “Sport is the glue which binds regional communities and it is critical the facilities in county areas are suited to help breed the next generation of champions,” Mr McCormack said. “Tennis Clubs such as this one at Parkes offer a great opportunity to locals to engage in everything from very competitive tennis tournaments to a social hit with friends.” The $13,000 investment will be made as part of the Coalition’s Stronger Communities Programme.

parkestennisclub

Local Police Host Unique Training Programme

June 30, 2016 By Maggi Barnard

IMG_8116 small

Lachlan Local Area Command recently hosted local community leaders as part of an initiative to develop a greater knowledge and understanding of policing. The second Community Awareness of Policing Program in Local Area Commands (CAPP in LACs) was a great success and was held at Parkes Police Station on Wednesday, 8th June. Participants included Councillor Barbara Newton, Councillor Chris Roylance, Managing Director of Northparkes Mines Stefanie Loader, Jenny Doecke from the Aboriginal Medical Service, Parkes East Public School Principal Michael Ostler and Councillor Dennis Brady.

Lachlan Local Area Commander, Superintendent Chris Taylor, said the local program is based on the highly successful Community Awareness of Policing Program (CAPP). “CAPP in LACs is an exciting community engagement project that offers the opportunity for our community leaders to get to know us and the diverse range of services we have to offer,” Supt Taylor said. Participants in the program experienced various aspects of police work, including highway patrol, defensive tactics, criminal investigation and forensics. “We also discussed crime prevention, investigation, operational policing, and the training, policies and protocols that guide our decision making processes.

“The program provides members of the community a chance to experience what it is like to be a police officer – it’s a real eyeopener, showcasing the varied and complex duties of policing. By imparting this knowledge to participants, it helps us better understand the needs of the community and foster strong relationships to ensure we work together toward mutual goals.” “We want our community to have full confidence in its police force, and by creating a more informed community through trustedand respected leaders, we believe we can achieve this goal,” Supt Taylor concluded.

Try a Gourmet Dish Pie this Winter…

June 30, 2016 By Maggi Barnard

the-dish-at-parkes-5016

“The Dish Pies are the best pies ever” is a typical response Craig Smith gets for his handmade red wine beef pies. The popularity of the pies has grown so much that Craig often receives pre-orders from people in other states for pick up when they are travelling through Parkes.

While pies are standard fare when it comes to Australian food, Craig created a unique recipe that puts the Dish Pies in a class of their own. When he took over the Dish Café he first sold pies made in Melbourne, but it was getting too costly and he made a decision that put him on the ‘pie map’: to start making his own. “I found a French farmhouse recipe for the base that is very unique. Using yeast to ferment the dough, instead of the standard short crust pastry, gives it a very tasty base.”

The richness and flavour are important to Craig, he can only make small batches at a time, as the dough is very sticky and not that easy to handle compared to conventional pie pastry.

The filling of chuck steak, red wine and caramelised onions is cooked slowly for hours until tender and thick. The finishing touch to this ensemble of deliciousness is the pie lid made from homemade puff pastry. If beef and red wine doesn’t get your mouth watering, Dish Pies come in other flavours too: chicken and mushroom, chicken and leek and curry chicken and three styles; cocktail, normal or family size. Bulk orders are welcomed by contacting the Dish Café on 6862 1566, or you can purchase or order at Parkes Cellars. The Dish Pies can also be frozen as a convenient dinner option at a later date. Tuck in and warm up this winter.

Sydney Youth Orchestra Pass On Expertise

June 30, 2016 By Maggi Barnard

IMG_2180

A number of young Parkes musicians took part in a workshop with the Sydney Youth Orchestra, as well as a performance at the conclusion of the day, in Dubbo recently. The Sydney Youth Orchestra (SYO), as a part of their new three-year commitment to establish a regional hub program, put the event together. The program, open to all musicians in the Lachlan area, will initially be based in Dubbo but there are plans for expansion over time.

Development and special projects manager for the SYO, Mia Patoulios, said they wanted to start building a much deeper engagement with regional students, providing educational and performance programs across primary, secondary and tertiary segments through to the pre-professional stage.

Students from the Mitchell Conservatorium, as well as other musicians from the Western region, were buddied up with the 100 SYO members during the workshop for rehearsals. The day ended with an impressive concert featuring the SYO players in both a band and an orchestra.

The climax of the concert involved the combining of all western region musicians, who had rehearsed throughout the day, with SYO performers to play two wonderful pieces of music: ‘Anniversary Overture’ by Brian Buggy and ‘Finlandia’ by Sibelius. The choir was made up of SYO wind ensemble members, and anyone who wanted to sing with them. The good news is that this will become an annual event. If you are a keen musician, keep the June long weekend open for next year when the SYO will be in Dubbo again.

By Pam Parkin

New Fire Station On The Horizon for Parkes

June 30, 2016 By Maggi Barnard

download (1)

The Mayor of Parkes Cr Ken Keith OAM today welcomed the news that the New South Wales State budget has allocated money for a new fire station in Parkes. Cr Keith said the he would like to thank the NSW Government for the $250,000 allocated in the State Government’s 2016/17 budget. “It is a great step forward for the project which will include the purchasing of land as well as building the station. The total cost of the project is just over $1 million.”

The current fire station has served the community for over for over 90 years, having being built in 1924. The current building is at the end of its serviceable life and no longer complies with contemporary standards in regarding’s to WHS, training and accessibility.

“The Council has been lobbying the NSW Government for a number of years for funding for this important project and it was wonderful to see it emerge as a capital expenditure item. I would like to thank the Deputy Premier Troy Grant MP and our former State Member for Orange Mr Andrew Gee as well as Minister for Emergency Services David Elliot for their support on this project.”

“Parkes is a progressive community, Council is optimistic about the future of Parkes. We see the potential for strong residential growth underpinned by the mining, agriculture and logistics sectors. With growth comes the need for additional community services such as health care, policing and fire services. It has been very encouraging that over the last few years the NSW State Government has invested in the growth of Parkes with the new $72.5 million hospital, new $13 million Police Station, and strong financial support through grants for vital infrastructure projects such as the new Water and Sewer treatment plants and road upgrades” Cr Keith concluded.

Tax Scam Season Is Here Again

June 30, 2016 By Maggi Barnard

download (2)

It’s that time of year again, the time when tax scams are rife and it’s important to be on your guard. At the stations within the Lachlan Local Area Command, we’ve received a number of enquiries from members of the community about people being contacted by phone. The caller states they are from the tax office, that the person owes money and if they do not pay it immediately, a warrant will be signed for their arrest.

The ATO does not operate like this, nor are warrants ‘signed’ in this way (except maybe in the movies). “We often see this type of scam pop up at this time of year,” said Senior Constable Daniel Greef, Crime Prevention Officer at the Lachlan Local Area Command. “We all need to remain vigilant when taking phone calls as scammers have a variety of methods they use. It doesn’t mean we should be scared, we all just need to be cautious and aware to recognise scams.”

If you receive a call from someone claiming they have an arrest warrant and demand you pay a fee, hang up and do not respond. If you have any concerns about the identity of any caller that claims to be from a government department, contact the body directly.

Do not give personal information to anyone on the phone, unless you made the call and the phone number is from a trusted source. For more information on scams, please check the Scamwatch website: www.scamwatch.gov.au
By Daniel Greef
Senior Constable
Crime Prevention Officer

  • « Previous Page
  • 1
  • …
  • 432
  • 433
  • 434
  • 435
  • 436
  • …
  • 448
  • Next Page »

Click here to download the recent issue (203) of The Forbes & Parkes Phoenix (2MB PDF) – 21st August 2026

SEARCH THE PHOENIX

STAY CONNECTED

The Parkes Phoenix would like to thank you, our Facebook friends, for your continued support and readership!

Phoenix Office
7/113-127 Rankin Street, Forbes NSW 2871

Editor
0432 337 278
editor@parkesphoenix.com.au

Sales
0432 337 278
sales@parkesphoenix.com.au

View our Privacy Policy.
View our Conflict Resolution Process.
View our Ethics and Complaints Policy.
Want to advertise with us?
Information on our Community Promotions.

We are always looking for new articles of interest to the local community.

Please feel free to submit an article for possible inclusion in a future issue.

To submit an article, click here to use our online article submission form.

Subscribe

* indicates required

Copyright © 2026 · Magazine Pro Theme On Genesis Framework · WordPress · Log in

nsw government logo

The Parkes Phoenix's Digital Diversification of Free Regional Media project is proudly funded by the NSW Government Regional Media Fund